Juan is a freelance Software Developer which means he does not have social security and his occupation being a freelancer is similar to a carpenter in your neighborhood. Juan has lost so many opportunities because of miscommunication, a common game played by corrupt individuals in the work place. As Juan recalls, this is how it usually happens:
1. Jessica the client’s representative to communicate the client’s requirements to Juan initiated the talks after brief conversation.
2. According to her, the previous IT Consultancy firm they hired left them without ever solving the problem they have with the ERP Software they recently bought. And handed over to Juan a 100-page software documentation. She did not elaborate nor mentioned the overall purpose or at least the processes involved so Juan requested that she must explain this in detail but the only thing she can reply is its all written in the software documentation. Juan could not comment but he seemed to have noticed that Jessica is not willing to share her knowledge.
3. The following day, Juan started working with Jessica. Jessica told him that in one of her testing, the software failed to deliver the desired result and presented a scenario where she encountered the error. The scenario is A-B(see figure below).
4. Juan replied and explained to Jessica how huge and complicated the existing program logic of the ERP Software and told her that the revision can still be done on per scenario basis and that means, Juan will only implement the changes based on the scenario that Jessica described so far.
5. Jessica willingly agreed.
6. Juan finished the revision in a few hours and informed Jessica to test it.
7. The following day , Juan was surprised when he learned that Jessica is mad at him because the revision he implemented is not working. And because of this, Jessica reported this matter to her boss and based on her report, she is not satisfied with Juan’s performance.
8. Juan could not do anything about this since the damage has been done but despite this situation, he conducted his own investigation and found out that Jessica used test date not suited for the A-B scenario and it was for the A-D-B scenario.
The IT industry is plagued by people similar to Jessica so be careful always.